Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Black Swan




Release Date: December 1, 2010
Plot Summary: Competition at its best: two ballerina's fight for the lead role in Swan Lake. Nina would have the role locked up if it weren't for impressive newcomer Lily. As they fight to win over the director, a strange friendship develops. The pressure appears too much for Nina as she dives into a dark place.



Black Swan is the newest film from Darren Aronofsky. As the director of one of my favorite films, Requiem for a Dream, whenever I hear about a new movie of his, I'm instantly intrigued. He's a master of intensity, and ballet makes for a perfect subject. While I'm not a huge ballet fan, I have a great deal of respect for the amount of hours and training ballerinas put into their craft. It seems like it's very easy for anyone to crack under that kind of pressure and it looks like that's where Nina's headed. What I like so much about Darren is that he really wants us to feel what his characters feel and in doing so is able to tap deep into our emotions. Hence why I can only seldom watch Requiem since it's too much to just casually watch.

It can't be left up to the director though to deliver on emotion though, he needs good actors. Lucky for us, we get Natalie Portman in the role of Nina. I know some people love her and some people hate her, but I fall squarely in the "Love Her" category. She really cares about the characters she plays and of the things I've seen her in, I never got the feeling she phoned it in - even in the Star Wars prequels. Her performance in this looks beautifully deranged as she falls victim to the dark side (sorry, couldn't resist). Plus it seems she has a Carrie-like crazy mother who assists in her psychological deterioration. At least I hope that's how it goes - I like me some crazy women.

Speaking of crazy women, as I was watching this trailer, I was surprised to hear the voice of Meg Griffin. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Mila Kunis in anything other than That 70's Show and Family Guy. She has a very recognizable voice, and whenever I hear it all I can think of is Meg Griffin. I'm hoping this will change that. Plus, she shares a steamy make-out sesh with Nats.

All in all, I think this looks promising. I don't know if I'll make it out to see it in the theater, but I would definitely be interested in seeing this. Of course, if it gets stellar reviews like the Wrestler did, you can bet your bottom I'll be there. The part that really made me raise an eyebrow was in the last seconds of the trailer. I have no idea what she pulled out of her back or why her eyes are so red, but I want to know more. Good job, trailer editors!

The Verdict: In the theater

No comments:

Post a Comment