Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pirahna 3D








"This particular piranha vanished two million years ago."


IMDB it

Plot Summary: It's spring break as tens of thousands of drunk horny college students descend on Lake Victoria. Unfortunately, a recent earthquake opens a fissure unleashing prehistoric piranha on the unsuspecting overly-attractive partiers. Blood and guts follow as local law enforcement try to figure out what's going on and how to stop it.

Piranha 3D is the 2nd sequel to a mediocre film that was made to capitalize off Jaws' success. It follows the 1981 trashtastic sequel directed by the now much better James Cameron. Now, I'm a fan of gory, campy horror movies, and I hope that's the direction this takes - a bunch of self-aware horror stereotypes, but with some hardcore gore and horror.

Christopher Lloyd could be perfect for this kind of movie, so I do have a little shred of hope. And I've seen some photos from the set floating around on the internet and it looks like it promises on the gore. But I dunno, I just have a hard time seeing this as a great horror flick. Maybe it's because there was absolutely no reason why this even needed to be made. Is there some very small circle of Piranha fans that were begging for this?

I think what makes me nervous about this is the 3D aspect. I know I said I'm a 3D fan, but this could be the bad kind. And the specials on the fish look iffy at best. But maybe that'll be part of the charm... having them flying at your face. I'm just saying it makes me a little hesitant to see it right away is all.

Either way, it's coming out in August and hopefully it'll be a fun way to begin the end of summer. I think we can all agree this isn't going to win any awards, but hopefully it finds its place in cult-dom. I haven't made up my mind yet if I'll see this in the theaters on on blu-ray... probably just blu-ray unless I hear it's really cool in 3D.

Verdict: Save for Blu-Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment